3.26.2009

Hydrated



the greenhouse, under water





"Well, how does it look?"









"Not good. Not good. There's a lot of water around here."








My daily updates from my mom and dad sound very similar. On top the the rain early this week, another six inches of snow has doused the area with even more moisture.






My grandparents have been operating a hydroponic tomato greenhouse for years. They have established not only that they grow the world's best tomatoes (I may be a little biased) but my grandpa's wave petunia hanging baskets draw many passersby in the spring. My grandpa, a retired college professor, has always had a green thumb. He experiments with melon, peppers, and pumpkins, but also a variety of beautiful flowers. My grandma, a retired nurse, is right alongside him, caring and helping out with the many tasks it takes to keep things running at the greenhouse.







As of today, their operation is under 3 feet of icy water.







And for those in the Red River area, the worst is yet to come. The river is expected to crest on Saturday, with an agonizing 3-day wait until the water will begin to subside.






With all this destruction and devastation that may or may not be imminent, I think it's easy to start feeling pretty negative towards everything. I think it is easy to look for blame, and easy to expect the worst.






But what a great opportunity to point out the beauty of humanity. The wonderful way people rise to the occasion. People from across the state and surrounding areas driving to help the cause. Students from colleges, high schools, and middle schools doing their part to save this city. Everyone doing their part, in ways big and small. What a beautiful reminder to us all that the world is still good.









Being thousands of miles away, I do feel helpless. I wish I could help with the efforts to save homes and businesses, and keep the people of Fargo safe. Because I can't stand there with my parents and sisters in those sandbagging lines, I will keep all of you, all of ND, in my prayers.



Updated info about the flood
Watch footage from the area

3 comments:

  1. The folks in Fargo are in our prayers here in the Hudson Valley of New York State. We pray for sunshine to dry the waters, helping hands when the burden gets too heavy and God's peace to give them rest at the end of a long day. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BJ...Ryno has been sandbagging since last Saturday. They just shut all the water and sewer off in Cobberville and brought in port-a-potties. He is in Livedalen 1st floor, so he is below grade. They left sandbagging about 3:30 pm and are now getting everything off their floors and up as high as they can. I am on video chat with him as he does it. Making plans on what to do if they make them leave cobberville. Thanks for your prayers and the great job on your blog. God Bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete